Tuesday 24 July 2007

Welcome to Readup v.2

Hello and welcome. This blog is an extension of www.readup.co.uk, and an attempt to rejuvenate the database format of the old website. Let's start at the beginning....

My name is Mark and I am a qualified Primary School teacher with a background in library work. I started to review children's books a couple of years ago in order to build a database that I could offer to parents looking to find good quality reading books for their children. Learning to read is such an important event in a child's life, and with modern distractions (games consoles, television, the internet) it is becoming harder to encourage children to read. "Why would I want to read a book?" is a cry often heard in schools- a tragic complaint for those of us who enjoy reading ourselves.

The truth is that books are seen by many children as being 'old-fashioned entertainment', and I can relate to this. The interaction and level of intensity offered by my PS3 is truly amazing, literally placing me as a F1 driver or a Ninja in feudal Japan. So perhaps books are simply outmoded? Well, yes, but books still do have something to offer- there are many amazing children's books available that offer a different form of entertainment to the technology that has developed so much in the last twenty years.

The intention of www.readup.co.uk (version 1) was to provide a database of books that I thought children would enjoy reading. If we can help to connect children with books they truly enjoy, then perhaps they will see reading as a useful and fun activity. Kids can love books. In practice, I have had classes squealing with delight when reading such comedy classics as "The Gaskitts" by Alan Ahlberg; quietly suspenseful as we ponder the mysteries in "The Adventures of the Black Hand Gang" by H.J.Press; and in solemn reflection as I whisper the "Night Time Tale" by Ruth Brown. Hopefully this blog will continue the work of www.readup.co.uk (version 1) and help many more parents and teachers to find wonderful books that will encourage reading.

Above: a scan of www.readup.co.uk (version 1)

No comments: